Tuesday, July 10, 2012

a mid-July staycation

this week, i have the opportunity to spend 7 days somewhere. i could have chosen bloomington, the place where my community of friends is strong in this season. i could have chosen some beach, planned some simple getaway by myself or with friends. i could have chosen some adventure. i could have chosen to relinquish my free days to watching children in the homes of working parents. but instead of all of this, i chose a staycation. a vacation for a WEEK at my home. in Peoria.

it seems that in the past few years of living in B-N, i have come to Peoria often. some months, most weekends. fall of 2010, several times for days at a time. spring 2011, the same. last summer, often. this past school year, frequently. any of my friends in bloomington could tell you that i love Peoria. i enjoy coming to Peoria because of what it holds... because of who it holds. Peoria is home. although several of the people dearest to my heart live 45 minutes away from Peoria, i feel that a large part of my heart is still in Peoria. i feel refreshed in Peoria, i feel encouraged, i feel empowered... because this is the place where i began so many journeys... its air holds prayers, memories, and stories of nearly 21 years of my life, and that to me is a wonderful place to soak in.

two days in and i am thoroughly enjoying this mid-july staycation!

No comments:

Post a Comment