Friday, May 11, 2012

a sweet exchange



 i gave them limitless hugs, they gave me the widest smiles.
i gave them meaningful high fives, they gave me contagious laughter.
i poked their sides, they squeezed my face.
i taught them about pronouns and contractions, they taught me about patience.
i listened to their stories, they gave me respect.
i gave them choices, they made me proud.
i recognized their successes, they gave me heartfelt compliments.
i encouraged them, they cared for me.
i gave them advice about being a good friend, they gave me hope.
i showed them kindness and love, they boosted my confidence.

i taught them and they taught me.
they opened up my eyes a bit more to some realities of life that i often forget.
they demonstrated boldness in their beliefs.
they reminded me how precious each and every day is.

what a year.
twenty-two third graders touched my life.
and there's evidence that i've touched theirs.
i'm not just "miss davis" to them anymore.
they refer to me as "miss davie" or "miss davio".
i have a relationship with each one of them.
we've made connections, we've reached goals, and we've made memories.

i walked into the classroom in august as a student teacher.
today, i will walk out as a teacher.
ECE is no longer simply a major that labels my academic journey.
this is my passion and these kids have been my life.
i'm now a teacher who is prepared to fulfill the calling to many roles:  
friend. nurse. counselor. parent. biggest fan.

after nearly 170 days of school, this chapter of sweet exchanges has come to a close. 
yet the tale continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment