Saturday, January 15, 2011

mosquito nets and memories

this morning i heard deep male voices talking outside. all was quiet except for those mumbled voices speaking words that i couldn't understand. as i wonder what they were up to, i am at the pretty likely conclusion that they were picking through the dumpster in our parking lot in search of aluminum cans. (i say this because i've seen men doing it before...)



before i really awoke this morning, still with my eyes closed not thinking about whether i was surrounded by a mosquito net or not, i felt like i could have very well been waking up from a restful night's sleep at Grace's house. because i heard voices like this almost every morning while i was in Kenya. there were always roosters squawking, dogs barking, or some car noise off in the distance, but almost right below our upstairs window, there would daily be men sitting and talking in the early morning hours. and i never knew what they were saying (probably because they were speaking in another language), but i could hear their deep mumbling voices. in the matter of a split second, my mind made an involuntarily scan, brought forward that memory and in mind and spirit took me to that place.

it was exactly one year ago today that i started my volunteer placement with IVHQ.



on that day, i had no idea what the next four months would hold. on the days to follow that first day, i still had no idea. i had questions, i made observations, i rode matatus, i tried food i'd never seen before for the first time, i became a part of following groups, and i listened to what everyone who i was meeting had to share, say, and tell.

on that first day i vowed to myself that for the time i spent in Kenya, i would simply live my life so in tune with my senses so that i could more accurately remember all of the details, would gaze upon everything to find it's beauty, and would rest in the peace and hope and joy that the Lord had in fact brought me to this place.

one year later, i am full of gladness that despite those first few days of feeling partially clueless but full of expectancy, i let that first day be the start of a wonderful journey. i am also so glad that i let my senses take over because the memories that are stored away in my mind are so vivid and real that they often fill my dreams. and such as today in yoga, when we were instructed to close our eyes and relax, i could perfectly picture the African landscape, with the acacia tress and the mountains and the valleys and the big open blue sky. because that is beauty. and beauty is wonderfully relaxing.



and still somewhat unbelievable but completely true, just a few days over a year ago, i boarded this plane to take me half way around the world to experience a new beauty... of people, life, landscape, and love. my senses remember, my heart remembers, my mind remembers, and i remember.

i hope those men found what they were looking for this morning because i know from experience that a fulfilled hope is exceptionally delightful.

He knew what He was getting into when He called me...

No comments:

Post a Comment